Junior Level 6 (2)
Junior Level 6 is one of those rides we’d rather forget.
This was the second attempt we expected to be better than the first but unfortunately it turned out the other way around.
We first started with apologies for the late arrival and of course the delay.
We had the first second try on the first dune and so it continued until the very end of the trip. I personally stopped counting after the 30th second try which completely killed even the last glimmer of today’s plan. I no longer had a solution because every dune regardless of characteristics became a second try.
On the first climb we had our first tricky stuck. That stuck helped us get back to basic and explain the mistakes. Two vehicles after the same thing, same place, different vehicle. We just “weren’t there.” Second tryes and recoveries lasted indefinitely. When everything is added and subtracted, we were more concerned with solving second try situations than we were driving.
Today’s convoy was black and white in color and flavor. 60% chocolate and 40% something in between.
What we have realized is that some members do not take seriously what we explain to them from the beginning of their careers with us. Some questions have surfaced that are the basis of all foundations. It is sad that at such a high Junior level we have to explain and answer the questions we have answered several times in the Prospect level. It’s not serious and it’s a slap in the face to us who are trying to pass on our knowledge.
Standard formation worked well, but the trip discipline was pretty bad. Every time the vehicles stopped, some drivers immediately used it as an opportunity to stretch their legs, take photos and the like. As if they were a tourist there rather than coming to training. Some drivers even had a flip-flop on their feet. The leading team was not at the peak of the task because such situations during training are unacceptable.
The radio was almost unusable. Once I even had to stop the convoy and wait to give instructions to the second lead.
I hope that debriefing with the leading team we had after the ride will help to ensure that situations like this never happen again.
And in the end, this trip was feasible for 60% of the convoy while for the remaining 40% it was simply too much of a bite. We will have to analyze today’s driving and see what we can improve in order to speed up the flow and improve training. We cannot allow a convoy of the same level to be so different and divided into two parts.
In the meantime, I don’t think this area will be available to the Juniors anymore. But a detailed analysis follows first.
At the end of the day, there were a few good drivers who showed their reliability. Others must work on discipline and take seriously what we are trying to teach them. Offroading is fun but we are not invulnerable. Keep this in mind the next time you get your vehicle out on the sand.
I’m challenging all participants of this trip (Juniors) to make honest review of their teammates who was driving in front of them. I’m also challenging you to give honest ratting for the same team member and his performance/behaviour on todays trip.